Dec 23

As the Revo will spend part of its duty as a game console (by way of console emulators), it only made sense to equip it with a set of wireless gamepads.  You can spend a lot of money on gamepads, or if you're a low-requirements, don't-see-the-value-in-it, non-gamer like myself, who is only looking to satisfy the kids, you go the cheap route.

For this, Radio Shack sells the Gigaware PS3 Wireless Controller (mod # 26-1031).  In my decidedly unlearned opinion, these are decent-enough controllers, though comparing to the XBOX controllers that I've held in-hand before, they don't have the heft or switch/button feel and responsiveness of those which cost twice the price.  That stated, I'll feel much better about watching these cheap-o's fall off the sofa and skitter across the wood floor than I would a $60 model.  These are pretty basic contollers, with all the requisite buttons, and a USB receiver which supports up to four devices.  Good thing, because on the Revo, the receiver crowds-out use of the USB port next door and makes use of the port below/above it questionable.

Pairing these S.O.B.'s was a bit frustrating - expecting to plug the receiver in, turn on the controller, press the tiny little sync button on the receiver, then pressing the "PS" button on the controller was logically expected to do the trick.  I found instead that a bit more fiddling was needed - as follows:

• Insert the receiver.
  • Switch on the controller.
  • Press the connect (sync) button on the receiver.
  • Press the "PS" button on the controller.
  • Press and hold the Select button and (press down) the left Joystick (L-Stick).
  • Once the green light on the receiver goes solid, the sync should be complete.
  • Fine-tuning can now be done in the device control panel, and button assignments in the various ROM configs.
  • These controllers go to sleep after 10 minutes of non-use, wake them up by pressing the "PS" button.

One final note, the included instructions mention working the buttons/joysticks a few times before use - there must be mold release or grease on the contacts as I found the responsiveness to be poor and eratic until I had worked them in a bit.

Posted by Adam KrauseGo w.i.d.eTweet MeShort URL

0 Trackbacks

1. No Trackbacks

7 Comments

Display comments as(Linear | Threaded)
  1. MARIEL says:

GRACIAS POR TU SOPORTE Y APOYO ESTA MUY BIEN TU COMENTARIO

2. Roshad says:

I recently purchased a 'Gigaware WIRELESS Controller for ps3 and pc' from radio shack and its not working.It's connecting to the computer but it does nothing and i tried what you said .

3. Adam Krause says:

Hi Roshad, the Gigaware wireless controllers seem to be very finicky - that, and the instructions that I wrote are from quick some time ago. I would hope that Gigaware would have resolved these connectivity problems in a later model, but it seems not. I have no further suggestions, only to try, and try again. And find a different controller if all else fails. Best of luck to you!

4. Shanu says:

I am not able to connect my gigaware to my ps3 i have followed all ur steps .

5. Adam Krause says:

Shanu, I was connecting my Gigaware controllers to media PC run Windows 7. The intent was to make the media PC my movie library (running XBMC), a PC from which I could occasionally access and browse the web, and a light gaming console (running a couple of classic game console emulators). In the end, the PC is used almost exclusively for running XBMC, and while I did manage to get my Gigaware controllers setup and working, I never did so on a PS3, and I've long since abandoned the controllers in favor of the Wii.

Sorry, I'm afraid I can't help resolve your Gigaware > PS3 issues...

6. asael montes rmano says:

hermano lo logre conectar en miPC pro coando estoi jugando solo puedo mover el mono mas no hacen nada los demas botones .

Best effort Google translation: brother to achieve connect to my PC but when I'm playing I can only move the monkey but not the other buttons do nothing.

7. Adam Krause says:

Hermano, me alegra saber que tu mono se está comportando como debe ser. En cuanto a los botones - que es una historia diferente. Yo también tuve problemas con mis botones. Restablecimiento del controlador varias veces, finalmente logrado los resultados deseados, sin embargo, sí recuerdo que no todos los botones funcionaban. Desde entonces he renunciado a mi PC utilizando los medios de comunicación como una consola de juegos básica, por lo que los controladores han estado haciendo caja, probablemente nunca a volver a usar. Lo mejor de las suertes a usted!

Brother, I am pleased to know that your monkey is behaving as it should. Concerning your buttons - that is a different story. I too had difficulties with my buttons. Resetting the controller several times finally achieved the desired results; however, I do recall that not all buttons functioned. I have since given up on using my media PC as a basic gaming console, so the controllers have been boxed up, likely never to be used again. Best of luck to you!

Enclosing asterisks marks text as bold (*word*), underscore are made via _word_.
Standard emoticons like :-) and ;-) are converted to images.

To prevent automated Bots from commentspamming, please enter the string you see in the image below in the appropriate input box. Your comment will only be submitted if the strings match. Please ensure that your browser supports and accepts cookies, or your comment cannot be verified correctly.
CAPTCHA

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_s9ymarkup::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_s9ymarkup/serendipity_event_s9ymarkup.php on line 146

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_s9ymarkup::uninstall() should be compatible with serendipity_plugin::uninstall(&$propbag) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_s9ymarkup/serendipity_event_s9ymarkup.php on line 146

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_emoticate::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_emoticate/serendipity_event_emoticate.php on line 204

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_emoticate::uninstall() should be compatible with serendipity_plugin::uninstall(&$propbag) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_emoticate/serendipity_event_emoticate.php on line 204

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_nl2br::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_nl2br/serendipity_event_nl2br.php on line 395

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_nl2br::uninstall() should be compatible with serendipity_plugin::uninstall(&$propbag) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_nl2br/serendipity_event_nl2br.php on line 395

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_browsercompatibility::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_browsercompatibility/serendipity_event_browsercompatibility.php on line 80

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_spartacus::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_spartacus/serendipity_event_spartacus.php on line 1183

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_imageselectorplus::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_imageselectorplus/serendipity_event_imageselectorplus.php on line 1105

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_imageselectorplus::uninstall() should be compatible with serendipity_plugin::uninstall(&$propbag) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_imageselectorplus/serendipity_event_imageselectorplus.php on line 1105

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_sidebarlogin::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_plugin_sidebarlogin/serendipity_event_sidebarlogin.php on line 148

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_popfetcher::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_popfetcher/serendipity_event_popfetcher.php on line 1426

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_lightbox::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_lightbox/serendipity_event_lightbox.php on line 281

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_lightbox::uninstall() should be compatible with serendipity_plugin::uninstall(&$propbag) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_lightbox/serendipity_event_lightbox.php on line 281

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_tinymce::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_tinymce/serendipity_event_tinymce.php on line 291

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_tinybrowser::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_tinybrowser/serendipity_event_tinybrowser.php on line 150

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_prettify::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_prettify/serendipity_event_prettify.php on line 245

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_xmlrpc::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_xmlrpc/serendipity_event_xmlrpc.php on line 160

Strict Standards: Declaration of serendipity_event_podcast::event_hook() should be compatible with serendipity_event::event_hook($event, &$bag, &$eventData, $addData = NULL) in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_event_podcast/serendipity_event_podcast.php on line 939

Strict Standards: Non-static method TwitterPluginFileAccess::get_permaplugin_path() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_plugin_twitter/serendipity_event_twitter.php on line 1554

Strict Standards: Non-static method TwitterPluginDbAccess::load_short_urls() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home1/pigslips/public_html/s9y/plugins/serendipity_plugin_twitter/serendipity_event_twitter.php on line 1518